I got this idea from a friend of mine, who got it from the Amish. My friend, Lore, has since moved to Pennsylvania and makes a variation of this on the regular. This has become my go to recipe for a breakfast. When I need to change it up I use a different variety of toppings and my family is none the wiser. Try it…
Gluten-free chocolate chip oatmeal cake.
- 2 cups rolled oats *(you can use quick cooking oats as well)
- 2 cups milk of your choice *(cow, almond, soy, coconut and/or rice is fine)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 scant teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips of your choice
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 2 tablespoons melted butter *(coconut oil or ghee is fine too)
Mix first four ingredients in an oven proof bowl/mold. Refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350F. Add remaining ingredients to soaked oatmeal.
Bake for 1 hour. Remove from heat, slice or scoop and enjoy!